Leveraging design thinking, technology, and data science to solve complex problems in health care Designing and implementing scalable nudges to improve medical decision-making and patient outcomes Providing technology infrastructure for sustainable behavior change interventions Evaluating and implementing evidence-based interventions to improve health outcomes at scale Enabling health through racial, economic, and environmental justice
in grants and awards
- An hour of work and one simple nudge resulted in $32 million in savings for Penn Medicine
- COVID Watch saved lives weekly during the first surge of the pandemic
- Heart Safe Motherhood reduced readmission rates and eliminated racial disparities in postpartum hypertension care
- Opt-out FIT kits paired with serial text messaging increased CRC screening tenfold
- Introducing defaults in the electronic health record increased referrals to cardiac rehab by 70 percent
- CARe eliminated three of four in-office visits for post-surgical patients
- Fast Track to Fertility increased annualized new patient access by 24 percent
Featured NewsSee all news
AI chatbot offers answers, bridges care for new moms Contemporary OBGYN Kirstin Leitner, a physician lead on the Healing at Home program, explains how a text messaging bot that uses natural language processing is helping patients in the postnatal period. She also shares strategies used to make the bot more effective, like educating patients on how to interact with it and incorporating algorithmic approaches with symptom reporting.
Uncovering predictors of lower opioid use after surgery Penn Medicine News Patients who report lower pain scores, are younger, and have not taken opioids before are less likely to need opioids after common surgical procedures, a new study shows. The findings could be applied to tailor prescribing and reduce prolonged exposure to opioids and unused pills. The research was led by members of the Center for Insights to Outcomes and the Nudge Unit and leveraged Way to Health for data collection.
Innovator SpotlightSee all spotlights
Nicholas Mollanazar, MD, MBA Nicholas Mollanazar, MD, MBA
Meet Nicholas Mollanazar, whose solutions are helping more dermatology patients get the care they need and enabling providers to work more efficiently.
Rebecca Trotta, PhD, RN Rebecca Trotta, PhD, RN
Meet Rebecca Trotta, a nurse-scientist driving efforts to transform geriatric care.